Rachel Berenson

Rachel Berenson

Female

Human

Resistance

Once upon a time my friends called me reckless. I'm fairly certain that Marco thought that I was going to get myself killed more than a few times.

I make sure to grin at him every time I see him now and I know that he knows what it means. And Sidin's nice enough to not confirm it, to give us the privacy of this at the least. Never thought there would be a time I'd call a Yeerk nice way back when.

Once I was reckless. Now I can't afford to be like that.

There's too much riding on us for me to be like that anymore. We thought our lives were stressful when we were just kids and, sure, for kids they were. Now the war's much bigger and the stakes are higher.

Now there are kids in the Resistance - kids with no home but us, no parents, no family but us - who look up to me. I can't disappoint them. I won't.

We've lost so much over the years. Jake, Marco, Cassie...she may still be with us but we haven't spoken in years. Not really. Not anything more than the occasional conversation that's all about work and nothing personal. It used to hurt, losing her like that.

She chose to turn her back on the fight, though. To be a non-combatant. Support for those who couldn't fight. And, really, I suppose I can't blame her.

If it had been Tobias...if it was Tobias, I'm not sure I really would have taken things much better.

Well...probably with a lot more violence.

Probably with mostly violence.

Even then, though, I don't think I'd give up. I would keep trying. Trying to get him free or, if that failed, just making sure that the Resistance made it as far as they could. On my feet fighting to the last to see those kids free as well as their parents and the Hork-Bajir and anyone else enslaved. Just like I'm doing now.

We may end up dying trying in the long run but I'll be damned if I don't die on my feet with some Yeerk asshole's blood on my teeth.

Morphs
  • African Elephant
  • Bald Eagle
  • Shrew
  • Cat (Fluffer McKitty)
  • Wolf
  • Trout
  • Bottlenose Dolphin
  • Seagull
  • Ant
  • Cockroach
  • Fly