Cassie Higgins

Cassie Higgins

Female

Human

Neutral

I chose to turn my back on the fight.

Chose to not face my friend in battle. To not risk seeing Marco's face twisted in anger. Funny how I ended up never having to fear that one with Sidin.

I chose to never have to make the choice between saving Jake or letting the murderous Yeerk in his head go. To never risk having claw or hoof or talon in position to do harm to him.

I couldn't. Not to the first boy I really liked.

Or loved. Though we never got the chance to see if it was that. A mistake took that from us.

And I can't stand the thought of being responsible or of having a hand in dashing that. I can't. I'm not sure Ax understood that.

But I knew when I made the choice that Rachel and Tobias did from how they looked at each other. Of how I found them later, curled up together beneath a tree in our camp that night, human hands clasped together tightly and arms wound around each other.

I was so jealous that they got to keep that.

So I pulled away from my friends, threw myself into working with the other members of the Resistance in the new home we found deep in the wilderness. I helped establish our kitchen and build our buildings and even did a stint or two of babysitting for the kids we've inevitably ended up with. It didn't really matter what the job was, I would volunteer for it. Anything to forget what I lost.

Anything to forget that one day they might come back with Jake's blood on their hands.

And the guilt that I wasn't brave enough to be there next to them when it happened.

Morphs
  • Horse
  • Osprey
  • Wolf
  • Trout
  • Squirrel (Magilla)
  • Dolphin (Monica)
  • Seagull
  • Ant
  • Cockroach
  • Fly
  • Great Horned Owl